While (hopefully) 100% of your patients use a toothbrush and paste as the foundation of good oral hygiene, when was the last time you thought about what makes them effective?
So much has changed in dentistry in the last 10 to 15 years, and our understanding and practice of oral hygiene has advanced as well. Join in this session for an interesting and informative look at toothbrushes and toothpaste, the research that underpins their practice, and how toothpaste ingredients can maximise oral health outcomes for your patients.
Session 1: Toothpaste
- Common toothpaste myths
- Role of antimicrobials
- Erosion protection beyond fluoride
- Sensitivity relief mechanisms of action
- Modern whitening toothpastes
Session 2: Toothbrush
- Toothbrush mechanism of action
- Evidence based comparison of manual vs electric
- Evidence based comparison of electric toothbrushes
- Research on long-term implications of toothbrush choice
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Apply techniques to effectively examine research in oral hygiene interventions
- Make evidence-based recommendations to patients to maximise their oral hygiene outcomes
Dr Elizabeth Milford
Dr Elizabeth Milford is a lecturer at both the University of Melbourne and the University of Queensland in clinical communication and ethics, as well as a national speaker. She is an experienced consultant in dental regulatory compliance, working as an auditor and educator approved by the Dental Board of Australia in Victoria and other jurisdictions. She is the Professional and Academic Relations Consultant for Oral-B to Australia and New Zealand and brings with her a passion for prevention and evidence-based dentistry.
ADA Member Dentist - FREE
ADA Member Dental Team* - FREE
Non-Member Dentist - $50
Non-Member Dental Team* - $50
*Dental Team includes all Oral Health Therapists, Dental Therapists, Hygienists, Dental Assistants and Practice Managers.
1.5 Scientific hours
This event is brought to you in collaboration with Oral B
By registering for this course, you agree to the events terms and conditions outlined on the ADAQ website.